Hearing Loss Affects Millions of Americans and Has Been Linked to Depression, Social Isolation, and Loss of Income
It’s time to have your hearing checked, or to urge a loved one with signs of hearing loss to see a hearing care professional. Hearing loss affects approximately 36 million Americans and recent studies show that untreated hearing loss may also contribute to additional serious health conditions and may have devastating effects on quality of life.
While age related hearing loss is prevalent, according to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communicative Disorders (NIDCD), hearing loss is reported in 18 percent of American adults 45-64 years old and 30 percent of adults 65-74 years old. Additional data from the National Council on Aging (NCOA) confirms that untreated hearing loss causes individuals to experience sadness, depression, worry, anxiety and insecurity.
A 2010 survey by the Better Hearing Institute on “The Impact of Untreated Hearing Loss on Household Income” compared income levels of people who used hearing aids, people with untreated hearing loss, and people with no hearing loss. The data shows that untreated hearing loss results in loss of income per household of up to $30,000 per year depending on the degree of hearing loss.
“With all the data we have about hearing loss and how devastating untreated hearing loss can be on an individual, it is more important than ever for people to have their hearing checked,” said Donna R DeMarco. “The technology and style of today’s hearing aids can dramatically improve one’s quality of life.”
Do you have hearing loss? You may if you:
- struggle hearing speech in noisy environments such as restaurants.
- Often feel “everybody mumbles” or “people don’t speak loud enough.”
- Strain to understand conversations and watch people’s faces intently when you are listening.
- need to ask people to repeat themselves during a conversation.
- find yourself avoiding social situations because you find it difficult to follow conversation.
- have difficulty hearing people on the telephone and listening to television.
- have a family history of hearing loss.
If you suspect you, or a loved one, has a hearing loss make an appointment with a licensed hearing aid specialist in your area.
Accurate Hearing Systems, LLC
Call 907-644-6004 to day for a FREE hearing test. We are located at 510 W Tudor Rd Ste 3, Anchorage, AK 99503.